Wednesday 29 April 2009

NEC election results

NEC Elections
Congratulations to every one who has been successsful in the elections well done to my close friends Katrina Quirke and Lesley McClean. Commiserations to Gus I am sure you will be back next year.

Why dont we start a debate on the elections? What do you think about the NEC elections?
What do you think to the turn out?
Something for people to think about, we have lost the only black executive member we had.

Can we really say that as a union we are representative of our membership? Or is this democracy in action?

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion we are not representative of our membership in any way shape or form whether it be black, female, disabled, lgbt. It's a difficult one to tackle though. personally I'm not in favour of reserved seats but maybe, just maybe there is a time and place for them in order to get things changing. Goodluck linda you have a tough job on your hands. This blog is a fantastic idea by the way.
    Maxiene Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same as Max in that I dont agree with reseved seats and my branch takes the view that it dosn't matter where your from we always use our vote on the basis the best person for the job, I sincerley hope the old debate on the North South devide will not show its ugley head. The fact is ten percent turnout on a branch ballot disgracefull perhaps we should if it could be achieved is a fine through the rebate system for all branches that dont respond to elections of any kind. I also fell sorry that Gus failed to get elected he's a hard worker and I believe will be missed on the NEC, lets get it right next year.

    Well done Linda just what the Equality department needs hopefully will be well used.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.