Wednesday 19 August 2009

Stop bullying my members

The CWU has an unrivalled record in supporting members who are bullied and harassed at work. We thought we were making progress in eliminating the epidemic of bullying endemic in Royal Mail over the last decade. It is with sadness and anger that I report that my department is being deluged with complaints from members about their unacceptable treatment by managers mainly since the government had to shelve plans to privatise Royal Mail. The following letter from Kenny Jordan sums up what is happening. Kenny was due to receive a long service award.

Dear Sir/Madam,
With regard to my long service award, it is regretful but I feel it inappropriate at this troublesome time for me to accept any reward, to do so would be both hypocritical and disloyal to my work colleagues, whom I stand next to on the picket line.
Royal Mail tell me I am a valued employee and they wish to reward me, the truth is however somewhat different, I am to be allocated a new duty, not only are my working hours to be changed I am also expected to work 2 Saturdays out of three and except a pay freeze! Add to this Bank holiday working, when required, introduced some time ago. This is my reward for 20 years service, while management are apparently receiving bonus payments for their efforts!
To add insult to injury, I am currently off work suffering a viral infection with severe back pain, yet it only took a day for Royal Mail to issue me a letter informing me of the disciplinary procedure for being ill too often! Valued employee? I don't think so.
Mr. Alan Leighton during his reign expressed Royal Mail's intolerance regarding bullying and harassment in the work place, he failed to inform us that it was a totally acceptable practise for management!!
Yours with regret,
Mr. K. R. Jordan.
E.L.V.O.C.


Good on you Kenny. I advise Kenny and all members who are the victims of bullying to contact their local rep and lodge a grievance against the individual responsible. You should also contact me directly. Rest assured that neither I or this Union will tolerate the bullying and harassing of our members. Shame on those responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.